ARTIST / ILLUSTRATOR
Kirsten K Kester/ K, born 1969 and raised in Copenhagen.
My academic background is with great interest in drawing. In internship as a city planner, and drawing at the Folk High School.
Since then, I have worked with my art part-time in Aarhus, where I moved to in 1985. After a number of croquis courses, I study art history at AU Aarhus Open University, and at Aarhus Art Academy [Århus Kunstakademi] I take the basic education, where I, among other things. works with oil painting, watercolor and classical drawing. Today I work as an artist, freelance illustrator, and exhibit regularly.
Studio K is my workshop and atelier. Here my art is created, thoughts thought, and strokes struck. Both physical and mental journeys, inspire and shape my art from thought to paper. . On my physical journeys, I gather empirics and notes through the encounter with other people. I observe, listen and transform everything from impressions to expressions, the conversation, as well as the unspoken words.
My art is meant to be playful but preferably compelling. With my drawings, I visualize what may appear like fantasy, but most often it’s based on reality, with serious and personal themes.
Identity is pervasive in my works.
I have lived my life as a wheelchair user: and am not only in today’s Denmark, but in the global modern society, labeled as a minority group. Based on this, narratives are seen that are defined, limited, influenced, or alienated.
Themes, metaphors, symbols and concepts are repeated throughout my work. The vulnerable and the ambiguous, alienation, destruction and melancholy are examples that move in my pen strokes. The narrative portraits or figures dominate my art.
Most of my life has been marked by various diseases and my wheelchair has been a necessary pendant. A pendant that does not define who I am as a human being, but which society tends to regard as an identity. In addition, my wheelchair fills so much mentally that just a regular conversation can be difficult at times, as people associate the wheelchair with a concept they have a hard time embracing.
This further arouses my curiosity about the thought behind the word in relation to people’s general conversation and body language.
My tools and techniques
I mainly work with graphite, color pencils, and ink or pen. These are my favorites. With my repeated strokes it’s almost meditative.
I occasionally work with watercolor and digital art, but am also inspired by other and new forms of expression. This is partly due to my curiosity to the material, but also due to pain in my body in relation to working positions.
I do digital art, for example, because of my disability. I usually work in small formats as I cannot lift my arms. My drawings or paintings made by hand are therefore most often under A4, and rarely above A2 format.
With digital art, I can ideally unfold on a very small workspace. Later I get the finished work printed out on nice paper, in a larger format. My digital art is created in the same way as if I were drawing or painting. The paper or canvas is simply replaced with a screen.
- 2022\ CPH Art Space\ Opining: Juni 03-05 2022\ Address: Godsbanen in the Rå Hal, Skovgaardsgade 3, 8000 Århus C.
- 2022\ Galleri OXÖNE\ Opening: April 01.\ Exhibition runs: April 01.-12. 2022/ Address: Galleri OXÖNE, 8 rue Chapon 75003 Paris. France
- 2021\ BILLEDMAGERI 2021 | Christmas group exhibition at RoS Gallery, Vindeboder 1A, 4000 Roskilde — opening 08. December
- 2021\ #CMA2021 – Galleri Nybro\ Nybrogade 30, 1203 Copenhagen K | The exhibition runs: October 06.-17. 2021 (All days 13-17, except Mondays) (censured exhibition)
- 2021\ Stadsbiblioteket, Sankt Petri kyrkogata 6, 222 21 Lund, Sweden — The exhibition runs: 05. October – 08. November
- 2021\ CPH Art Space w. artmoney\ group exhibition\ Copenhagen
- 2021\ Randers Kunsthus w. artmoney\ group exhibition
- 2021\ Billedgalleri 2021
- 2020-2021\ Bank- og Sparekassemuseet/ Overgaden Neden Vandet 11 1414 København/ w. Artmoney/ 13. september 2020 – 31. december 2021
- 2020\ Höganäs Museum och Kunsthall\ Höganäs, Sweden – ARTmoneyNORD
- 2020\ CPH Art Space — Docken\ Copenhagen
- 2019\ Smíðjan í Lítluvik\ Thorshavn – Faroe Islands –ArtmoneyNord
- 2019\CPH Art Space – Docken\ Copenhagen, 2019
- 2019\ Herlev Kunstforening – Galleriet i Midten\ with “De Betejste Kunstnere”. All four artist are connected with De Berejstes Klub, 2019
- 2019\Vinterudstilling\ Galleri Artmoney\ Frederiksberg
- 2018\ Bókasafn\ Tjarnargata\ Reykjanesbær, Iceland\ ArtmoneyNord
- 2018\ Amtsbókasafninu\ Akureyri, Island\ ArtmoneyNord
- 2018\ Rikhardinkadun Kirjasto\ Helsinki\ Finland – ArtmoneyNord
- 2018\ CPH Art Space, Docken\ Copenhagen
- 2018\ NIPÅ, Nordens Institut\ Mariehamn, Åland\ ArtmoneyNord
- 2018\ Gallery Soppa de Azul\ Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain
- 2018\ Vinterudstilling\ Gallery Artmoney\ Frederiksberg
- 2017\ Galleri Tryk2 – Bornholm Kulturuge\ Aakirkeby\ ArtmoneyNord
- 2017\ Galleri Smiðjan Lítluvik\ Torshavn, Faroe Islands\ International Artmoney Exhibition
- 2017\ “Demokrateket” — Dokk1\ Århus\ ArtmoneyNord
- 2017\ Herlev Kunstforening, Galleriet i Midten\ Herlev – with “De Betejste Kunstnere”. All four artist are connected with De Berejstes Klub
- 2017\ Galleri Bredgade 22\ Copenhagen
- 2016\ Møntbørs\ Copenhagen
- 2015\ Galleri Art Expo\ Hørning
- 2015\ BERLIN SOUP\ Berlin, Germany
- 2015\ Galleri Bredgade 22\ Copenhagen
- 2014\ Galleri Dencker + Schneider\ Berlin, Germany
- 2014\ Gods i Kunsten 3′ – Den Rå Hal\ Århus
- 2015\Alive and Kicking – The Signal Arts Centre\ Bray Co Wicklow, Ireland
- 2014\ Galleri Bredgade 22\ Copenhagen
- 2014\ Johs. Sørensen & Sønner Århus (solo)
- 2014\ Aarhus Pride 2014 – Århus
- 2014\ Hjortshøj Festival – Hjortshøj – m ARTmoney
- 2013\ Ud i Skoven – Constantia2\ Viby J.\ w. the art group Mangfoldighed
- 2013\ August Art\ Knebel
- 2013\ Randers Kunsthus\ Randers – w the art group Mangfoldighed
- 2013\ Sjællandsgade Bad\ Copenhagen. – De Brændte Børn
- 2013\ Spor 1\ Godsbanen\ Århus
- 2013\ Galleri Bredgade 22\ Copenhagen (censured exhibition)
- 2013\ Gallery Gathering Tribes\ Manhattan, New York – USA
- 2013\ De brændte børn – 3F\ Aalborg
- 2012\!Limfjordscentret\ Thy
- 2012\ Rundetårn\ Copenhagen
- 2012\ Gallery DADAPOST\ Berlin, Germany
- 2011\ Rundetårn\ Copenhagen
- 2011\ La Pazion de La Pazta/ La Paz B.C.S./ Mexico (solo)
- 2011\ Galleri Kunst-værket/ Møldrup (solo)
- 2006\ Ridehuset\ Århus
- 2006\ Øksnehallen\ Copenhagen
- 2000\ “Mangfoldighed i Danmark – Nationalmuseet\ Copenhagen – “En udstilling i udvikling” m. Jette Ní Mhaolcatha, om betydning af udvikling i vores samfund. Vores projekt bygges op omkring hjulet, 2000
— Teater freezeProductions
Accessible Travel Phrasebook – Lonely Planet – 2018 — In collaboration with Lonely Planet are publishing accessible travel books for people with a handicap: I take part of the Danish translation.